Saturday, August 13, 2011

Killing Pain Part IV

In Killing Pain Part III,  I added visual study notes to do with afferent pathways. In this post I'll add visual study notes on descending modulation pathways, made from Ossipov's diagram, found in his chapter in his book chapter, Ossipov MH; Pain Pathways: Descending Modulation. Ed. Larry R Squire; Encyclopedia of Neuroscience 2009 Elsevier Ltd. It's a book I could read for the next hundred years, along with Ramachandran's Encyclopedia of the Human Brain, all four volumes. At the rate I learn, it would take another thousand years to absorb it, probably. Oh well. I don't have that long, so I tear along as best I can visually taking things apart and putting them back together.

(I think what happened with me had something to do with neural inhibition.*)

The first image is straight out of the book. It's nice, but I couldn't follow it as well as I wanted.
The other three are my own deconstructive line diagrams.

Click to embiggen.













Killing Pain

Killing Pain Part II

Killing Pain Part III

Killing Pain Part V 

Killing Pain Part VI

*I was pleased to see the Scholarpedia article on Neural Inhibition was written by Dr. Gyorgy Buzsaki, Rutgers University, whose book, Rhythms of the Brain, I read and absolutely loved a few years ago. I blogged about it in Brain Oscillations: Ten part series.

Somasimple discussion thread about this post series.  

Scientific American: Anger Gives You a Creative Boost
This article is about interpersonal confrontation, however, I see no difference, from the perspective of the "I"-illusion, whether the perceived "foe" is external or internal.


No comments: