Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Upheavalment and unravelment

It's strange how stuff seems to arrive in bunches, after long periods of time of relative smoothness. Like, first Haiti, then Chile, out in the geographic world.

The private world seems like that too, these days. I received news on Sunday that the receptionist (in Vancouver) would be resigning, then the very next day (yesterday) I received word that my locum replacement was resigning as of June. That's pretty much my old life in Vancouver finally down for the count. I shall have to dismantle the practice officially, sign papers etc, I suppose. Kill the legal entity. It's not a rumination I really need right now, yet at the same time some little part inside of me feels slightly more free, so that's good, I guess.

The third thing was that this morning I sat down to work on my presentation for Brazil, and discovered the mouse was dead. Very very dead. At times like this, with three big whammies in a row, it's hard not to feel a tad superstitious about life. Superstitious, as in, "what is this all supposed to mean?" The rational part of my brain says, weird coincidence. We move on. We deal. The emotional part of my brain is reeling around in shock and dismay and wants to clutch at straws - "How do I have to live my life differently to avoid experiencing all this stress?"

Long walks help. I've been out doing that quite a bit these days.

Postscript: I started to get ready to go out to buy a new mouse. The more I thought about it the more I thought I should check to see if the problem was to do with the keyboard, not the mouse. I had a spare (new) keyboard anyway, what could it hurt to test it? I did, and taDAH! the mouse isn't dead - it works fine with the new keyboard. Just a bump, not a huge slam into the boards. All is well. Back to business.

No comments: